Saturday 18 January 2020

Waterworks around Chimney Pot Hill 2020

Well, here we are with a new year of walking and a new regime running the group.

Yes, Peter and Ron have taken over the reins and any and all complaints should be directed to them. I'll still walk and do the blog so you don't get off that easy.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to be on the first walk, but Peter has supplied me with photos from last Tuesday and now that my Internet is back up -two days of routine maintenance, my a--!  I can post them.

I'll let Peter describe the walk in the excerpt from his email below.

If you didn’t know, Bob fell while jogging on Friday and dislocated his left shoulder* which didn’t stop him from walking or doing up his boots.
 
*I always said that no good comes from jogging - Jack

As you know we have followed the previous route for the most of the walk with the only real deviation (aside from Bob doing a couple of Authorized corner shortcuts - which I missed photographing) was that we finished up not following the fire trail down to Waterworks but instead went down Gentle Annie Falls.

Except Bob had told everyone when we were standing at the farm that there would be no more hills but there is one and because it was getting a bit warm there were some comments about the extra climb.

There were 9 of us for the day and we walked about 14 kms according to Ron’s GPS (but my phone reckons 16kms).
 
Off we go. Captions by Peter.
Bob getting the Royal treatment

That's Ron tying Bob's shoe. Ron along with Peter have taken over the group and are obviously going to provide a service far beyond anything I did. Particularly for the more elderly walkers.

Leaving the Car Park

The first hill

Across the ridge

Morning Tea



Down Strickland Avenue

Up the cycle track

Mt. Wellington with clouds clearing


Lunch finished and on the move


Old Pipeline supports

Through the tree ferns


The Pipeline

They got away again, Jack

They are probably in training for when I get back to walking with the group.

From Chimney Pot Hill

After we'd been told No More Hills!



Gentle Annie Falls
Not really a falls, but a channel cut by convicts as part of the original water scheme. Bypassed in the 1940's by a pipeline, it's always dry now. I've not found out who Gentle Annie was.



A likely looking bunch

Rock art
 Looks like it was a great day for a walk, thanks again to Peter for the photos.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment