Monday 15 April 2019

Refurbushed Organ Pipes Track Opening 2019

An invitation was received by our walking group for someone to attend the opening of the newly refurbished Organ Pipes Track.  On your behalf, I took up the opportunity. The fact that there was a free bus ride with tea, coffee and food at the end had no bearing on my decision what so ever.

The bus picked us up at the Springs just after 10a.m., taking us up to the Chalet where everything was happening. Passengers appeared to be a mix of tourism operators and others such as myself.

Arrival at the Chalet

Hobart City Council Alderman Jeff Briscoe speaking inside
 The Alderman went into some of the story of the Organ Pipes track and the driving forces for the restoration before he handed over to the Hobart Lord Mayor Councillor Anna Reynolds.

The Lord Mayor continued the story with some interesting facts such as there were 1100 helicopter flights to move 900 tons of rock plus other materials. All work done has been documented so that it can be referred to in the future. There has been much overseas interest in the methods used. So much so that two of the track team are attending a function in New York city where they will give a presentation on the methods.

The plan was to create the "Great Short Walk" to attract tourists and show some of our bush and not just limit their visit the top of the mountain. The track now leaves the front of the Chalet and zigzags up to the original track.

Afterwards the Lord Mayor and the Governor of Tasmania, Her Excellency Professor the Honourable Kate Warner, jointly unveiled a plaque to be installed in the wall of the Chalet.

What happened next was a bit surprising, the Lord Mayor accompanied by the Governor seemed to cut straight through the crowd, heading for me.

After shaking hands and introducing ourselves, I explained who I was and told them a bit about the U3A and the bushwalking group in particular.

You will be pleased to know that the Governor, who I believe is a keen walker, was dressed for the track. She would have fitted in with the U3A bushwalkers, no problem. Her fleece jacket was even a match for the one in my pack.

Indeed, in Saturday's paper I saw a photo of both the Governor and the Lord Mayor having a short walk on the track.

After the formalities the food was attacked, before some of the attendees returned directly to the Springs, while others like myself set off to walk the Organ Pipes and Pinnacle Tracks back to the Springs. Those who were left did a short walk up to the boulder field before taking the bus back to the Springs.

I should mention that the weather was about as perfect as it could get as you will see from the photos below.

Mount Wellington. Organ Pipes are the vertical columns
Mount Wellington with Hobart below

Looking up from the start of the track beside the Chalet



A short walk to the first boulder field

Hobart, Tasmania on the River Derwent



Some of the track workers led small groups to answer any questions they had
I went on ahead as I prefer to walk on my own. I wanted to see if they managed to preserve the historic feel of this track. They did.

Tourists will have many opportunities to enjoy the views.




Looking up at the boulder field

Tasman Bridge to the Eastern Shore of the River Derwent

I passed this small group and had a typical Tasmanian experience
I overheard one of the party say they should take a photo to show to their walking group, the Kettering Walkers. Kettering is about 5km north of where I live and I've seen the walkers many times.



On the way, I glimpsed what appeared to be a tail disappearing around a corner just ahead. As I rounded the corner, a local was waiting for me.

A Tasmanian Pademelon was waiting for me


Making sure I was there before taking off

It wasn't really worried about me and went ahead for a while before veering off to the side
It was sitting just off the track as I passed by.

My walk continued, getting closer to the bottom of the Organ Pipes in places. Finally, I was back at the Springs and finished with the walk.



Popular with climbers


 
A lot of hard work went into restoring this track with great care taken to make it look aged, and the team should be congratulated. 

Now, if we can only keep the skyline clear, the mountain will be almost perfect.
  
CLICK HERE To watch a 15 minute video on the project.

CLICK HERE To watch a time lapse short video by Greg Scott of Hobart, Mt. Wellington and places around Hobart. It takes about 4 minutes




No comments:

Post a Comment