Monday 25 May 2020

Woodbridge to Kettering Manuka Hills 2020

Today I'm taking a corona virus walk, meaning I'm alone. It will be from Woodbridge to Kettering and then to the Manuka Hills and return.

The weather is a little overcast, but pleasant for walking as I set off.

Passing through the village of Woodbridge, I continue north on the Channel Highway. Walking behind the barriers along the way make it somewhat safer, although in places you have to be careful not to slip down a steep bank due to lack of foot space.

Large gum on edge of Little Peppermint Bay

It's actually much larger than it appears in this photo, the base is about two metres across.

Safe walking behind a guard rail
You see many more things walking than riding in a car. There's a sharp uphill curve leading out of Woodbridge on the north side. The land below the curve has always been a mess of blackberries and pine trees looking completely impenetrable. Walking up I noticed someone has been at work clearing some of it and doing planting. There is a house you can barely see back in there so I guess they are doing the work.

Someone is making an effort
On I go, climbing out of Woodbridge and heading north. I stop at a pull off point to take a photo looking southeast.

Bruny Island and Umbrella Point across the Channel
That was the scene of our last walk before shutting down because of the virus.

Not long after this spot, I begin to head down to Trial Bay.

I have a look at the ditch running  beside the road and am astounded by the amount of road kill bones. They continue on for quite a distance. I assume it's a popular crossing spot for wildlife as blackberries line the side of the ditch and there are openings pushed through by animals about every metre or so.

Unlucky previous walker

Vineyard just before Trial Bay

The smoke is a pile of rubbish they are burning.

Last look down the Channel
I pick up the track leading around the point that was put in by several local Kettering groups. It's very pleasant walking and they've installed seats in several locations.

Gee, a chainsaw and a wood lathe and that would make a good salad bowl
Just kidding.


It's fungi season

The white ones are really tiny

A bit of colour along the way

The track
There were a few people walking the track, but we all managed to keep our distance.

Reaching Kettering, I walk down to the ferry terminal. Due to the virus, the ferries to Bruny only run at certain times of the day and the one below was just sitting there with no cars waiting.

One of the very new ferries
The older, larger double decked one has been retired and replaced with two smaller, single deck boats.

Time will tell when things return to normal how well this will work. In the tourist season, traffic has been backed up down the Channel Highway at peak times. That's over a kilometre. What difference two smaller but faster boats will make remains to be seen.

I walk up ferry road heading for the athletic oval where I'll have lunch.

Kettering Marina

Who knows?

Art work? It's gold and filled with cement
I cross the unnamed creek on the foot bridge above and start on the track just below the oval.

As I walk, I feel something brushing my knee and look down to find I'm being accompanied by a very large, very hairy Alsatian. At the same time, he looks up at me, and feeling the need to say something, I say "G'day mate, I don't think I'm who you think I am." He obviously felt the same way and immediately turned back along the track. I have no idea where he came from as I had no one behind me at the time.

The oval
Beautiful downtown Kettering




I look for and find a comfortable spot for lunch, complete with seat and take my break.

After lunch, I continue heading for the start of the Manuka Hills track.

I come to a spot where the old, original Channel Highway turns off the new highway.




This is what's left of the original Channel Highway and I spent many years driving back and forth to Hobart every day.

There were very few passing spots between here and Kingston and during apple season you always got stuck behind a truck taking a load of fruit into Hobart. Mostly fairly old or army surplus trucks, they were very slow compared to modern trucks.

I had an advantage in that I was driving a minivan. This had a throbbing 848cc crosswise engine driving 10 inch front wheels, through a four speed transmission with a gear stick about a metre long. A further advantage was that this was a company car (Rank Xerox) which made it much faster than just a private car. I used this further advantage to make my own passing opportunities.

Present day Channel Highway
I follow beside the highway, heading for Dough Boy Drive where I'll turn off to find the start of the track.

Dough Boy Drive. Nice little climb
 It flattens out at the top and continues on.
Mount Wellington lurking in the distance

I follow the road to a cul-de-sac at the end where the start of the track leads uphill.

The track
This climbs up between properties.

Looking back

The usual litter has been cleared as a defense against bush fires


I spot a large wallaby leaping away from me in the bush. Much bigger than the pademelons I usually see. Too fast to get a photo, unfortunately. Possibly a Bennett's wallaby.

There is much thumping coming from the surrounding bush as things move away from me.

A junction
I've decided at this point as it's been a long day, that I will take the track behind me which leads down to Wilsons Road and back to Kettering.

On the way down I hear voices and see a young couple striding up the track. The woman is in front and, despite wearing an ankle length skirt, is setting a cracking pace. Her partner is behind and indicated to me that he's having a hard time keeping up.

Happy to set my own pace, I continue down.

The track leading to Wilsons Road


Start of the track. Bring your horse
I reach Kettering and start on my return journey to Woodbridge.

Wilson Road heading down


On the way back I reach a point where I can see the wreck of the S.S. Laura, a steamer that once traded around the south east coast. You can reach it from the end of Martins Road in Woodbridge by bush bashing, but it's pretty grown up at the moment. There is a plan to construct a proper track, but it's been pushed back for the present.

I've covered 16.73km in 4:57hrs. You can add 3.5km for the walk Bryn and I did before I set off for Kettering.




No comments:

Post a Comment