Thursday 17 April 2014

The Dreaded Lurgy

No, that's not the name of a walk, just what prevented me from taking part in and reporting last week's. It's still hanging on, I think it wants an Easter Basket.

Anyone who wants to put in a report on the walk at Chauncy Vale can do so, just let me know via the comments for this blog. If you want to do so anonymously, we can do that too, for a modest fee.

Here's me thinking that the phrase "The Dreaded Lurgy" is a fine, upstanding Aussie one. Until I looked it up. Originally spelled 'lurgi', it has a couple of variations, such as 'lurgey and lurgee'.

It came from Eric Sykes and Spike Milligan who wrote an episode of the Goon Show in 1954 called Lurgi Strikes Britian. Ned Seagoon has to save Britain from an outbreak of a disease called 'The Dreaded Lurgi'.

So now you know, it was worthwhile to read this little post after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment