Friday 8 November 2019

Knocklofty 2019

Today Jenny B. is leading the group around Knocklofty, on the outskirts of  Hobart. Unfortunately I'm not able to be there as I'm busy getting my head examined - well, eyes to be absolutely correct.

You all were on my mind as I parked not too far from where the group was leaving, but much earlier.

The weather was cool but clear and it looked like it was going to be a great day for a walk.

I headed down the Rivulet Track to Molle Street and then over to Battery Point for my appointment. Now back to your walk.

I can see that you parked in Forrest Road, near an entrance to the Knocklofty Park, and Jenny led you in a clockwise direction around a large loop with some deviations. I know Jenny also had plans for some historical information along the walk.

Using the timings on the GPS track, I made educated guesses as to where you had Morning Tea and Lunch!

Ron also sent me a link with a short history of the Knocklofty area, and if you CLICK HERE you can read it.

Many thanks to Jenny for leading the walk, Ron for the GPS information and Peter for the great photos below. I'm really sorry I missed it.


Heading into Knocklofty Reserve

New Track construction

New steps

Pumping Station just inside the reserve

View of the Tasman Bridge

Local 5 star accommodation

A flat bit

Overlooking Battery Point

Fossil in the track

Climbing to the top

Mt. Wellington


Lunch spot

Downhill we go
Following a fairly new bicycle track
Nicely constructed seating

Mum and joey
Wayne nearly trod on this local

Tasmanian Tiger Snake - highly venomous


More newly constructed steps

Cadburys in the distance (chocolate factory)

Looks interesting...

...except we went into Mt. Stuart


Lunch spot



An old City of Hobart boundary marker

Up to the cars


Another local
I had a look online and found this is probably the caterpillar of the painted cup moth ( Doratifera oxleyi )

Trying to hide







There were 11 walkers and they covered 10.58km in 4.0 hrs.

There was some street walking that was accompanied by interesting stories from both Jenny and Wayne who grew up in the area.













No comments:

Post a Comment